Mason Area Historical Society Postcard Photo Gallery
Images on this page were digitized from a
postcard collection reproduced by the Mason Area Historical Society with
the following credits:
"Image reproduced by Mason Area Historical Society (est. 1976) to
its simple mission ~ To preserve the past and present for future
Circa 1910 view of businesses on Ash and Barnes St. looking west.
Notice the hitching rails around the Courthouse square where you would
have tied up you horse—a watering trough was nearby.
This BIRDS EYE VIEW looking northwest, was taken by a brave soul who
climbed the Standpipe (old water tower) located on S. Jefferson near
the railroad tracks. Elm Street is in the foreground.
Vintage View (circa 1910) of downtown businesses looking west from
corner of Maple and Main (Jefferson St.) — still a thriving center
commerce. (Shoe store is present day Ware's Pharmacy.)
Looking east (circa 1910) near the corner of Maple and Lansing streets,
the great stone arch under the tracks is still there today.
INGHAM COUNTY COURTHOUSE dedicated in 1905. This photo is prior to
1912, when the clock faces in the dome were installed. Notice brickpaved
streets and horse-drawn wagon tied to the rail.
"Lawrence Block" downtown businesses (vintaage view circa 1920) on Ash
looking east from the corner of Jefferson.
Vintage View (circa 1910) looking north from Oak St.) of downtown
businesses on the east side of Main St. (Jefferson). While the two wood
buildings no longer exist, the brick barber shop is in the same place
— can you spot the painted pole by the sidewalk?
MAPLE GROVE (officially extablished in 1844) serves as a sacred resting
thousands — honored veterans, pioneers, and others who made Mason
home. The top view shows the main entrance off Columbia St. prior to
the bottom view shows a second entrance off N. Jefferson.
The white fence is but a memory; a stone wall now graces the main
MASON HIGH SCHOOL located on Jefferson St. served Mason students until
late 1970's. This split view shows an earlier bulding (top) before fire
in 1921, and the 1925 replacement (bottom) which currently serves the
as a senior citizen apartment complex. Composit photos of classes who
graduated fom the building still hang in the hallways.
Mason Powerhouse formerly on Jefferson St. (north of Columbia). This
building is a memorey to many...this view circa 1920.
Memorial Building (Legion Hall) formerly located on Jefferson Street
(just north of the railroad tracks) by the Standpipe. This building is a
memory...this view circa 1930.
Train Depot (view circa 1910) was integral to Mason area commerce.
The depot is now a diner and closest buildings (formerly a grain
company and lumber company ar the site of a thriving antique market.
Neely Neely Millinery Shop (circa 1910) located in 100 block of Ash
west of Jefferson. A place where ladies purchased the finishing touches
(like a perfect hat) for the fashion of the day.
Rayner Opera House and G.A.R. Armory (circa 1900), on W. Maple. These
two buildings are but a memory...the site now a parking lot.
"Paddock Block" downtown businesses (vintage view circa 1910) looking
east from a snowy corner of Maple and Park Streets.
Parade Procession (view circa 1915 taken from upstairs window)
coming north on Jefferson St. toward the intersection at Maple.
Presbyterian Church (built 1901) graces W. Maple on the Courthouse
Stones came from area fields when farmers took part in a "stoning bee."
The church also has exquisite stained glass windows.
Rayner Park (this image circa 1940) has been an integral part of Mason's
landscape since 1872. It is a favored place where families can enjoy
nature, complete with ponds and a native wood lot.